Wednesday, April 11, 2012

guilty pleasures

I'd like to take a minute to talk about guilty pleasures.  While there are some that I wear like a badge of honor, and I'm not afraid to tell anyone about, like Madonna, there are others that lay dormant and hide in the shadows.  The ones that I would deny if called out on it.  One of them is Billy Joel.  I spent the better part of my younger days actively disliking Billy Joel, but perhaps now that I'm getting older, and I'm listening to more Belle and Sebastian and less Minor Threat, I feel like there are things I can revisit from my youth.  Billy Joel is one of them.  The other day riding in the car, I pulled him up on MOG and found myself jamming out.  When I got home I had to take a shower, but nothing would wash the dirty feeling off.  The next day, I listened again and at that point decided that I wasn't going to beat myself up about it. I decided that I wasn't going to be ashamed any more about!  I won't go out and buy any of his records, and I'm certainly not going to rush out and see him live and in concert.  But there was a reason why he was so popular, and there is some semblance of legitimacy to that popularity.  If nothing else, it's fun music.  Nothing to analyze too deeply, and don't judge me too harshly, but it feels good to finally admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment