Saturday, January 18, 2014

Midnight at the SFT

There is a place here in the town in which I live that has sat vacant for as long as I've been here.  I don't exactly know how long beyond that, but it's been vacant for a long time.  It once was a destination for theater lovers, and was a beacon for Shakespeare lovers.  There is a movement to get the Stratford Festival Theater back up and running, but funds need to be raised in various ways.  My thought and dream is to do weekly midnight acoustic shows for a small admission fee/donation.  I was thinking that there could be beer served by the local brewery, Two Roads, with the hope that they would contribute to the revitalization of the old girl.  I was planning on booking local acts, but not limited to Connecticut, but artists from New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts and anywhere close enough to want to be a part of it.  I would hope that the artists would do this for the exposure alone and that there would be limited overhead since it's acoustic and that it's realistically for benefit purposes.  Due to the nature of the facility, in that it was intended for performances of shakespeare, the acoustics are phenomenal, and would be the perfect venue to showcase the talent of the singer/songwriter.  I want to help bring back a once proud venue into the new world.  I want the shakespeare theater to be a vibrant destination for the arts.  I want it to be a place that fosters the independent spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment