Tuesday, November 8, 2011

who do you rock on a rainy day?

Prior to having kids, there were certain things that I absolutely LOVED to do on a rainy day.  I want to preface this by saying that I still love rainy days, but they're decidedly different now that I have other things that need to get done.  One of the two things i loved doing was reading.  I always loved to read under normal circumstances, but when it rained I loved to read novels, particularly Moby Dick.  I think that the feel of the narrative went well with a cold and gloomy day.  The other thing was listening to solid tunes.  Slapping on the headphones and gazing out of the window into the dark and wet day is somehow cathartic.  For me, it rejuvenates the soul.  So the question I pose right now is;  Who do you listen to on a rainy day?  For me, I like to find something familiar.  Something that transports me to another time.  Perhaps something that my parents listened to when I was young, or something that I listened to when I first started forming my own opinions on music.  One record in particular always pops up and I tend to listen to it over and over again.  That record is Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti.  Like Moby Dick (the novel, not the tune), there are so many songs on this record that just feel like a rainy day, like Bron-Yr-Aur, Kashmir and Ten Years Gone.  Even the harder songs like the Wanton Song are amazing songs that I love to hear during a driving rain.  So that's my pick.  Would love to hear what you listen to on a rainy day and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment