Friday, September 16, 2011

morning teleportation

When I first started listening to Modest Mouse several years ago, there were a few songs that I absolutely loved.  It was generally the radio friendly, more straight forward rock songs that lured me in, since I tend to buy full albums, and not just single songs, I grew to love their whole body of work.  And now, they are without question one of my absolute favorite bands.  The same thing holds true for Morning Teleportation. I guess the irony here is that Morning Teleportation plays on Glacial Pace records, which is Isaac Brocks label, and Mr Brock is the front man for Modest Mouse.  Morning Teleportation has a frenetic sound that tends to be jumpy and psychedelic, but with roots in classic rock, citing influences like James Gang and Crosby Stills Nash and Young.  There were only really one or two songs on their debut, Expanding Anyway, that I really liked, but the more I listen to them, the more all of the songs grow on me.  I guess that another large part of it is that I wanted to like them.  It sometimes works that way.  There are always things that come along that aren't that accessible right up front.  Sometimes it takes work to appreciate something, and that makes the experience more rich and fulfilling.  Morning Teleportation is like that, you will have to work at it, but in the end you will be better for the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment