Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Bad As Me

Just listened to the first four tracks on the new Tom Waits record, Bad as Me.  This being the first record in 7 years, I'm really excited about what I've heard so far.  I hope that tonight I'll listen to the rest of it.  The official release date is October 24th, but thanks to this modern age, I was able to sign up on Toms website to receive a special code so that I could listen to it in it's entirety for a week free of charge.  I have mixed feelings about this.  While I love the fact that I get to hear this record prior to it's release date, and I'm able to talk about it hear and tell everyone to go out and buy it when it comes out, because it's awesome, and Tom Waits is awesome and if you love him like I do than you're really going to love his new stuff.  But...  There is part of me that thinks that this just further devalues the piece, in the sense that in the age of now now now!  now you don't even have to wait for a digital release.  I did the same thing with the new Clap Your Hands Say Yeah record.  I was able to listen to it for free, streaming on NPR radio.  Don't get me wrong, I love that I can do this.  I love that these bands are making it possible to hear the record, and maybe the theory is that it will generate a buzz and that will translate to sales.  But what happened to the days when a record release was a HUGE deal?  There was fanfare and anticipation.  The record company created demand by keeping things a secret, and you had no idea what to expect, and I for one used to get tingly with anticipation when I'd hear that a favorite band was reported to be back in the studio.  Now you can watch them record the record then hear what it sounds like and decide if it's to your liking, all before it's released.  I understand both sides, I really do.  But it's a sign of the times.  There is no patience any more.  If it's not available immediately it will slip through the cracks and be gone without being noticed.  The public attention span is a nanosecond, and it's kind of a shame.  I would love to hear about a band going into the studio secretly, recording a monster record, building anticipation and not leaking ANYTHING until the actual release date.  The only things released prior should be rumors.  But I digress.  What I've hear so far of Bad As Me, is dope!  Tom Waits at his finest.  Instant gratification wins. I lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment