Saturday, January 7, 2012

eavesdropping

I wouldn't say that I really go out of my way to listen in on other peoples conversations.  I don't skulk around corners and hide in dark places to hear things that aren't for my ears, but when I'm sitting minding my own business in a public place, and the people next to me are talking too loud to be ignored I'm going to see what it is that they have to say.  I was at a small club waiting for a band that I'm particularly fond of to go on.  I was having a drink and trying to come up with a good intro to how I would eventually write about the show, and the two young ladies next to me were talking at an increasingly louder tone.  Most of it was benign, and not really worthy of discussion.  One of the young ladies asked the other how her relationship was progressing with a certain fellow, and she began to tell her how they were no longer together and that it was for the best, but the one thing that struck me was the fellows reason for ending the relationship.  "You're a person of structure and I'm a person of chaos."  was his reason for the split.  It took a lot of self restraint to not turn to these young folks and laugh in their faces.  She told the story with a certain amount of pride, and that this was a valid reason for them to part ways.  And in the way she told it I could tell that on some level she thought that he was a profound and insightful person.  I was a dopey 20something way back when, and I said some things that were equally as absurd in an attempt to sound or appear deep and mysterious.  As I sat there and sipped my cocktail, I thought about how satisfying it would be to meet this guy, just so I could slap him.  An open palmed slap.  Not to hurt him or anything, just to bring him back to reality.  I have to think that he was a young musician who has delusions of really making a mark in the music scene.  There's nothing really wrong with what he said, and ultimately there isn't anything wrong with the young lass for thinking that he was such a brooding and self-aware person, it just struck me as funny, and I would love to see the trajectory of that fellows life and career, and if he makes a big success of himself years from now, I would love to remind him that he actually said those words.  That would be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment