Monday, January 9, 2012

The Shins

Sometimes it seems funny how things happen.  Not really in a comical way, but in a way that makes you say "hmm."  From time to time in my soul crushing excuse for a job, I have to take deliveries out to customers, and what's good about this is that I get to plug in my iPod into the cube truck stereo and listen to some good tunes, and try to forget that eventually I will have to return to the freezing cold warehouse where I spend the better part of my waking hours.  But today as I had my iPod on shuffle, a song by the Shins came on, and I thought to myself how much I like them, and was wondering why I hadn't heard anything about them in a really long time.  It was a really brief moment, and I didn't really consider it, it was just a brief thought, and then Minor Threat came on and I stopped thinking about it.  A few hours later I was checking what was going on on Facebook, I noticed that Oh So Fresh mentioned that they were premiering a new single from the Shins.  I guess it's just a coincidence, but these things happen.  I haven't really heard them in a long time, and now not only do they pop up in my shuffle, but they're releasing new material!  Anyway, the song is called Simple Song, and it reminds me of 70's/80's arena rock classics like Chicago and Styx.  It's big, and it rocks.  It's classic, yet new and relevant.  It's got the classic Shins sound, James Mercers voice is unique and can't be mistaken, but the whole sound seems more produced and more mature.  I am so incredibly excited to hear the rest of the record.  It's time for me to pre-order the LP.  Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment