Thursday, January 26, 2012

enough already

Today I was listening to the radio, which actually isn't something that I do all that often, but today I was.  I was listening to a classic rock station, which is an even more unusual occurrence.  Not that I don't like classic rock, I actually really love it, but I generally dislike the selections made by programmers for radio stations, especially since it is about 15 songs (give or take) that play on a continuous loop, and they aren't even the best songs by the artists.  But this is all beside the point.  Today, as I listened to the local CT classic rock station, Rag Doll by Aerosmith came on.  I listened for a little while and then started getting increasingly agitated, and then I thought about it.  Why was I getting agitated?  I've never been a very big Aerosmith fan to begin with, but I always thought that Rag Doll was a decent enough tune and I usually would rock out to it ever so slightly when I would happen upon it.  But not today.  I thought about it, and I came to the conclusion that it's because Stephen Tyler irritates me so much.  He has become a caricature of himself.  In fact he has become a caricature of a caricature of himself.  It goes so far beyond simple irrelevance to the point of he's actively taking away from his past work by being such a douche.  Songs that I used to think were reasonably cool are now stupid and trite.  I think that somewhere along the line I have talked about those bands that need to give it a rest, that they're irrelevant and getting kinda sad, like the Stones by continuing to tour and put out marginal (at best) records for no apparent reason.  But while they're irrelevant, they've stayed this side of pathetic, where Tyler has taken a dive head first into the pathetic pool and is certainly enjoying himself in the stink.  I don't know why this stuck with me so much today, but it's killing me.  I wish he would just go away!  I'm not sure how he can reconcile himself as an artist while being a smug dick on american idol, not to mention that american idol is clearly the first sign on the apocalypse.  I know it's probably the pay check that made him sell his soul, but really.  it's not funny, hip or anything.  it's just lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment